Saturday, November 18, 2006

My Own Movie Review - Happy Feet

Comment: A Good Movie!
Mood: Pleasantly surprised!
Rating: 8/10

Chewbacca and I went to see Happy Feet, the animated movie about a penguin who was born without a heart-song and is shunned by the community though he was able to express himself through tap dancing.

Here are my thoughts, per the different hats I wear:

1) voice animator hat - I liked the movie alot - it was beautifully done in animation, with heavy doses of inspiration from "March of the Penguins" (another fabulous, gorgeous movie). The voices were well cast, and the soundtrack was nicely woven with music from a number of different genres.

2) conservationist hat - I *loved* the message of this movie. It had a perfect educational zinger about littering/food chain/conservation/endangered species. And I appreciate the message that you are supposed to walk away with.

3) movie goer hat - I loved the movie - BUT the ending was awkward, heavy-handed and abrupt. Though the message is terriffic (see above) the execution was choppy and unbelievable. It is unrealistic to portray issues of conservation, fishing rights and pollution as being resolved in a relatively short period of time.

All in all, there were some really interesting theological aspects to this, like the basis of worship in the penguin community (though a little too much gratuitous Christian symbolism for my taste overall), good music, sweeping, beautiful animation, great characters and a good storyline.

The ending is my only discontent with the movie, but I still recommend it highly!

No comments: