Friday, March 10, 2006

Israel Impressions

Yesterday I took care of the "business" part of my trip. In fact, I have the world's record on how quickly it took to get through the buerocary I had to deal with just to change my name and address on my ID, and to request a form that lists all my travels into and out of the country (which I will need at the tax ministry to prove that i dont owe taxes for the past 3 years as i wasnt living or earning here). Guess how long that took - 20 minutes TOTAL. In and out. Amazing.

Driving around the city my sister lives in has been a good way to ease back into the culture here. I think I have been hesitant to jump in and go back to my old stomping grounds. I needed to catch up on sleep at least, and be fully functioning. So Sunday is the day I go to Jerusalem. I have a small shopping list (a ring for myself from a jeweler in the Old City, some gifts, etc) and top of the itinerary is going to the Western Wall.

Meanwhile, the smells, sounds and general pace here has been creating so many pangs of nostalgia and memories and homesickness, all at once.

Gotta run....

No comments: