Monday, September 15, 2008

Times - they are a'changin'

We actually thought about buying a house. I mean, we seriously looked into it with a mortgage broker and stuff. Who would have thought? Six years ago I was Bankrupt, nearly destitute, and living on peanut butter sandwiches.

If I actually look back at things, I am pretty amazed at how I have picked myself up. And boy have I learned the lessons, man.

We decided not to buy right now, because though we can TECHNICALLY afford it, as in, we have the money to cover it NOW, we aren't comfortable with having nearly no margin of error. If one of us lost our jobs, we'd be so up that creek... so we decided that the timing wasn't quiet right.

Then Lehman Brothers and Merril Lynch happened. And you know what? I don't think I trust this whole financial atmosphere right now. Banks are scrambling. Mortgages will be ridiculous so that they cover their butts on the loans. And I don't think we are finished seeing the backlash. My dream is still to own MY OWN place, not an apartment, I am so over that, but a home, a real place where I can paint walls whatever I want, and decorate things according to my own tastes. And to have a large yard attached to said location.

But it is not happening right now, and I am not really sure I'd be comfortable in this market getting involved with that right now. I still have a little bit of a refugee mentality where I need to be mobile enough to pick up and move if need be and not be shackled with things like property bogging me down.

No doubt I will grow out of that at some point.

In the meantime, I am still apartment bound, but feeling quite mature and clever about it because it was a choice.

No comments: